Written by SportsDayDFW.com
Rankings: Dallas area's top-10 boys and girls basketball players; DeSoto's Matt Jones, Duncanville's Ariel Atkins on top
Here’s a list of 10 of the top high school players in the area. Note: this list doesn’t include players who are out with season-ending injuries (such as Prestonwood’s Julius Randle or Mickey Mitchell) or Prime Prep players (Emmanuel Mudiay, Jordan Mickey, Karviar Shepherd or Elijah Thomas).
1) Matt Jones, DeSoto, Sr.: With one of the team’s best scorers ineligible for the rest of the district schedule, Jones stepped up this week in wins over Mansfield Timberview and Midlothian, averaging 15.5 points in the two wins.
2) Keith Frazier, Kimball, Sr.: Frazier, a top 25 player from the Class of 2013, scored 35 in two Kimball wins this week .He took an official visit last weekend to SMU (reportedly his final trip before deciding).
3) Kendal Yancy-Harris, Richardson Berkner, Sr.: Yancy-Harris leads 5A area players in assists (8.1 APG). According to Rivals.com, Southern Cal has not released him from the Letter of Intent he signed in the fall, prior to former coach Kevin O’Neill’s firing. The school is letting him explore his options, however, with UConn, Texas and Texas A&M some of the teams interested.
4) Jeffrey Carroll, Rowlett, Sr.: The 6-5 Oklahoma State signee has been the 5A leader in scoring for most of this season (averaging 22.2 points). He scored 23 in a 70-54 win over North Garland on Friday.
5) Leyton Hammonds, Richland, Sr.: The Oklahoma State signee scored 49 points in two wins for Richland (20-7, 10-1 in 4-5A).
6) Soma Edo, Richardson Berkner, Sr.: The Fresno State pledge is one of five area 5A players averaging double-digits in points and rebounds: 16.3 points, 10.8 rebounds.
7) King McClure, Triple A Academy, So.: Last season’s SportsDayHS newcomer of the year is averaging 21.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists and 3.7 steals for the state’s top-ranked Class 1A Division I team.
8)Jeremy Combs,Carter, Jr.: The lanky, 6-6 swingman erupted for 50 points last week in a 117-57 win over North Dallas. His coach, Robert Allen, compared his skill set to a young LaMarcus Aldridge, who he coached at Seagoville.
9) Zach Coleman, Woodrow Wilson, Sr.: The UMass signee scored 39 points this week in two wins for Woodrow. He leads 4A area players in rebounds (14.1) and is fifth in points (18.4).
10)Ridge Shipley, Hebron, Sr.: The Cal Poly signee is one of the area’s best three-point shooters, averaging three per game.
1. Ariel Atkins, Jr., G., Duncanville: Atkins scored 20 points in Duncanville’s 67-24 blowout of Mansfield. She’s averaging 16.1 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.7 assists for the top-ranked Pantherettes.
2. Lili Thompson, Sr., G, Mansfield Timberview: The Stanford signee scored 11 points and was one of four Timberview players in double figures in a 62-27 win against South Grand Prairie.
3. Breanna Hayden, Sr., G, Madison: Hayden averaged 18 points in wins against Roosevelt and Irving North Hills. The Baylor signee averages an area-best 29.9 points.
4. McKenzie Adams, Sr., G, Frisco Centennial: Adams may have had the best week in the state with 74 total points in wins against Frisco and The Colony. The Arkansas signee averages 23.4 points.
5. Kennedy Leonard, So., G, Southlake Carroll: The sophomore point guard averages 12.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and 6.3 assists. She scored a combined 27 points in wins against Keller and Keller Fossil Ridge.
6. Diamond Lockhart, Sr., G, Red Oak: The Texas Tech signee was held to single digits in a loss to Mansfield Summit on Friday. She also scored 20 in a win against Ennis.
7. Kiara Perry, Sr., G, Duncanville: The SMU signee scored a game-high 18 points in a 76-21 rout of Grand Prairie. She averages 14.6 points and 6.7 rebounds.
8. Destiny Nunley, Sr., F, Richland: Nunley averages a double-double with 17.7 points and 10.5 rebounds per game.
9. Jada Terry, Sr., F, Cedar Hill: The Texas A&M signee scored 12 points in Cedar Hill’s 56-25 victory against South Grand Prairie.
10. Ashley Deary, Sr., G, Flower Mound: The Northwestern signee is averaging 15.8 points, 6.1 rebounds and 6.2 assists for first-place Flower Mound.